Queen Street Medical Centre was founded in 1945 by the late Dr Ian McIlvray, who was joined by the late Dr Kenneth Harbison. At that time the practice was located in Wharf St upstairs above Quiggs, the Chemist next to J H Williams.
Dr Betty Marks and her husband Dr James Marks joined the practice in 1953 and 1954 respectively. Dr Harbison retired in 1957, and Drs Betty and Jim Marks carried on the practice with hospital visiting rights until 1976 when Dr Jim Marks retired. Dr Paul Spicer joined Dr Betty Marks in the practice. Dr Betty Marks retired in 2014.
A succession of new doctors joined the practice, Dr John Kennaugh in 1978 (retired September 2009), Dr Diana Kennaugh in 1980 (retired December 2015), Dr Graham Higgins in 1982 (retired September 2016), Dr Shauna Purser in 2002, Dr Joseph Biles in 2006, Dr Philip Lambie in 2007 (retired from the practice February 2020), Dr Robert Meehan in 2009, Dr Nispa Krongkaew in 2013, Dr Kunam Mani in 2014, Dr Nichola Reich in 2016 and Dr Kathleen Tree in 2016.
In 1980 the practice moved from Wharf Street to the former RSL Club in Queen Street. The building was gutted and custom fitted as a medical centre.