Queen Street Medical Centre was founded in 1945 by the late Dr Ian McIlvray, who was joined by the late Dr Kenneth Harbison. At that time the practice was located in Wharf St upstairs above Quiggs, the Chemist next to J H Williams.
Dr Betty Marks and her husband Dr James Marks joined the practice in 1953 and 1954 respectively. Dr Harbison retired in 1957, and Drs Betty and Jim Marks carried on the practice with hospital visiting rights until 1976 when Dr Jim Marks retired. Dr Paul Spicer joined Dr Betty Marks in the practice.
A succession of new doctors joined the practice, Dr John Kennaugh in 1978 (retired September 2009), Dr Diana Kennaugh in 1980, Dr Graham Higgins in 1982, Dr Shauna Purser in 2002, Dr Joseph Biles in 2006, Dr Philip Lambie in 2007, Dr Robert Meehan in 2009 and Dr Rod Street in 2010.
In 1980 the practice moved from Wharf Street to the former RSL Club in Queen Street. The building was gutted and custom fitted as a medical centre.